Tuesday, June 30, 2009

How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer 4: Paula Scher

The fourth in the series of blog posts where I'm sharing what struck me about each interview from the book, "How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer" by Debbie Millman.

Que: What do you do when you when you experience the feeling of “eureka” about a design solution and your client doesn’t? How are you able to convince them to see things your way?

Ans: …With one particular client, I made a presentation before I showed any work and logically explained why they had to do what I was presenting. I proved my thesis before presenting creative solutions. I’ve done that a number of times, and I’m getting better at it. It’s a lot of work but I’ve been trying to do this more and more. I know I have the tendency to jump to an answer without taking the time to express the logical steps.
(What a great idea. If more designers could implement this – we would have less opportunity to say that the client does not get it).


I loved the new NYCB logo the moment I saw it - of course it had to be designed by Scher (with Lisa Kitschenberg) of Pentagram and the NYCB's Luis Bravo. The identity aims at giving the company a dramatic, contemporary new aesthetic linked to its legacy and location. According to Scher, it is "designed to be powerful and graceful at the same time, like the company."

Da Noise Funk Poster is legendary - it greatly influenced typography of the '90s - imitation they say is the best form of flattery. © Paula Scher

No comments: